Saturday, October 31, 2009

thriller.

Tonight, I got to shoot something I'd never thought would come my way... Friday night football! Um, wait, that's almost every Friday. This week, my regular assignment for my old paper, the Stockton Record, was better than I could have hoped - Halloween meets Homecoming game! The kids at Chavez High School in Stockton went all-out for their second-ever homecoming, with probably about 100 kids taking the field during halftime to perform a dance to "Thriller" as the marching band played the MJ hit. So rad! Who knew that song could sound so epic through tubas and flutes.

This kid was my favorite - he spelled out his name for me between drum beats:
Zombie cheerleaders, zombie band members, zombie choir... it was a lovely preface to Halloween.To top it off, I was stoked to finally be able to stay at a game long enough to shoot the homecoming procession! Unfortunately the court weren't dressed-up like the rest of their school, but it was pretty sweet all the same. We never did the big homecoming thing at my high school (would have helped to have a football team...), so it was exciting for me to see what all the fuss was about. And I have to say, the homecoming King really took the cake.
Sometimes I really love high school. Happy Halloween.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know the critical language of photography, and I often feel that when I intend to compliment a photographer's work I have given the impression of doing the opposite, but I try anyway: Your work so often impresses me with your sense of the tableau, and your use of it to achieve a kind of "ostranenie."

Sonny Thakur said...

Glad I stumbled upon this blog today. Very entertaining photographs and stories.

Cheers from Toasty Manila!