Monday, April 5, 2010

sxsw - day three.

Day three was jam-packed. Started off the day doing a quick photo shoot for Oh Dang! Magazine with a hip hop group called Bin Laden Blowing Up [BBU]. They were pretty funny and a little goofy, and provided a great environment to work in. Houston-based photographer Todd Spoth helped with the shoot, which was in the alley behind the Soho Lounge, holding the strobe and even sacrificing a couple of his promo cards for the creation of a snoot.

After the shoot, Todd and I headed over to the Relix Magazine showcase at Antone's to check out the Watson Twins and Minus the Bear. I was really stoked to see both bands; I saw Minus the Bear a few times in college and love them, and I've loved the Watson Twins' music since their album with Jenny Lewis. Once that goodness was through, I met up with Todd at the Shirts for a Cure show at Red7. I was only able to catch a few songs by 7 Seconds (I can't believe they're still playing shows. Amazing.) before Zoneil called me up for a last-minute shoot with Alabama rapper Yelawolf. It was great to meet him, and I totally fell for his southern charm. There was also a lot of pressure (in my head, at least) to do a good shoot with him after seeing photos that Bryan Derballa shot of Yela last month. In the gallery below are just a few outtakes from the shoot; I'm saving the best for publication, and I'll link that when it's up.

Finally, to round out the evening was the show I'd been waiting all week for: Matt Pryor at St. David's Episcopal Church. Yes, that's right, in a church. The scene was gorgeous, the acoustics were amazing, and even crazier, there were only about 35 people there sitting in pews and singing along quietly. Matt Pryor has been one of my favorite musicians since I was in junior high school, and to see a solo performance by him made all the nights of minimal sleep worthwhile.

Ahem.

Since there were really no other shows I really wanted to see that night, I wandered the streets with Todd, saw a set by a Los Angeles band called the Wallburds (on the street - always fun), listened to Neon Indian at their outdoor show from across the street, and saw Minus the Bear play one more time before calling it a night.

With that, here are some of my favorite pictures from the third day. The last day of SXSW will be posted up shortly, I promise.

No comments: