Wednesday, August 8, 2007

catharsis.

at what point do you separate life and photography? where do you draw the line?

i've had nothing but trouble lately trying to figure out how to keep the emotion in my life from spilling over into my professional, photographic endeavors. my life and the lives i photograph are distinct, separate. but a friend recently told me that sometimes you need to use your photography to explore the emotions in your daily life, the situations that you need to force yourself to confront in a way you never would have otherwise.

a catharsis, of sorts.

photograph what you feel. show the things you care about.

shooting what i feel has been a challenge. shooting what i love is even more of a challenge. so, i started by photographing my family. family is a word with troubling connotations for me. it is a dirty secret, something you are forced to live with. family, blood, is supposedly thicker than water, but the family you choose for yourself - the people you surround yourself with - son mas gruesas que sangre.

this is the family i have made for myself, the family that does not judge, the family that loves me simply because we are struggling together. this family is my life and is becoming my catharsis.

No comments: